Objectives of the project
Train lawyers specialising in the law of the sea, coastlines and maritime activities.
The holders of this diploma are professionals who are able to detect, analyse and deal with legal problems relating to the various fields of maritime activities and the law of the sea. They are able to prepare the documents for the disputed files, by following up on disputed cases, defining, designing and drafting the relevant documents, legal acts and regulations.
In the field of maritime law, graduates are able to advise the various operators of maritime activities in the implementation of their administrative and commercial responsibilities, to negotiate and draw up contracts and agreements, and to deal with disputes arising from the exercise of their activities. They are able to provide advice to operators on the use of legal instruments specific to the occupation and exploitation of public property, on urban planning rules relating to construction on the coast, on instruments relating to authorisation, management and exploitation of resources regimes. They can help operators to prevent the risk of environmental damage and, where appropriate, to address its legal consequences.
In the field of international law of the sea, graduates know how to interpret international acts and decisions of international bodies and deduce the consequences for operators in the maritime and coastal sectors, particularly with regard to the environment, navigation, security and maritime and port security.
In Master 1: optional four-week internship or research thesis
In Master 2: internship of at least 3 months.
Examples of assignments: legal advice, project management, writing legal studies and reports
And then what?
Continuation of studies
- Business lines
- business manager
- in charge of litigation
- legal counsel
- expert, committee secretary (professional and union organizations)
- lawyer of territorial, national and community administration (after competition)
Sectors of activity
The graduate can practice in:
- the field of insurance, banking, sectors of activity covered by all operators in the maritime sector;
- in the field of legal advice, study and expertise;
- in professional and trade union organisations, maritime social service organisations, maritime cooperatives;
- in the internal territorial or national administration and the Community administration.
The advantages of training
- High professionalization: participation of many professionals from the private and public sectors in the teaching team.
- The proximity of many sea-related institutions in Brest and its region, which welcome Master students for visits and conferences.
- The alumni network, which for 40 years has supported training and put its experience at the service of students (conferences, training, internships, job offers).